Tuesday, March 4, 2014


Since my youth, I’ve had a close relationship with music as a drummer/guitarist in multiple 70's and 80's rock-jam bands. My music minor led me to spontaneously discover auditions for The Grapes of Wrath the day before casting.

Just one-minute into the audition, I was cast as "Man with Guitar" symbolizing a man traveling west with his guitar to create musical enjoyment for himself and others.

When I’m not busy studying at UC Davis, I devote time to working towards my private pilot's license, staying fit, and researching LED lighting at the UC Davis California Lighting and Technology Center.

-- Cole Sutliff (Musician)





My first audition was for the play Annie when I was about seven years old. My eldest sister took me to the audition and had to give me a pep talk in the parking lot because I was a nervous wreck. When my turn came to go onstage, I stood in front of the directors and opened my mouth to sing but nothing came out. Then I blurted, "I'm scared!" and RAN off stage to my sister.

I expected her to comfort me but I was so wrong. Instead she looked me straight in the eyes and forced me back to the audition. With an already defeated soul I sauntered back onstage and miraculously sang my song.

Needless to say, I was very surprised to have made the cast list. This play was my first taste of performing and I was hooked!

I performed off and on throughout elementary and high school, but stopped after graduation so I could join the work force. I then worked in property management for a decade. A few years before I resigned, my eldest sister once again lit a fire under my feet to go back to school. This was when I decided to return to the stage.

UC Davis had been my school of choice when I wanted to be a veterinarian. Unfortunately that didn't happen but once I learned that UCD had a dramatic art department, it was a no-brainer for me. I busted my butt at junior college over four years to get here. It's only my second quarter, but now I am back onstage, taking wonderful classes, and loving everyone minute of it.

-- Nakeema Brooks (Ensemble)






I was introduced to the world of theater at a very young age because my dad is a professional opera singer.

The first time I saw him perform in a big role, I couldn't believe that all of these people around me were watching him, and eventually applauding him. I felt a gust of pride and inspiration and thought to myself, I want to do that. I want to be a performer.

-- Matthew Skinnner (Ensemble)

No comments:

Post a Comment